can a bad .ppd be repaired? Any guides or tutorials??

Paul paul.conklin at cerner.com
Fri May 6 15:32:44 PDT 2011

I went out to their website and downloaded it as well.  In the .tar.gz file there is a lot more than just the PPD, icluding the filter and it looks like some custom backends as well.  There was an "install.txt that goes over what all needs to be done.  namely step 6 looks like what you missed.

6. Manual-install hiti printer driver. (Example manual install in Fedora 2)
   a. check all files in permission 755 in Backend folder. To type :
          chomd 755 ./Backend/* ENTER
   b. copy all files in Backend folder to folder of cups's backend. To type :
          cp ./Backend/* /usr/lib/cups/backend/ ENTER
   (If you don't want to display UI , you can remove PrinterDlgDll.so)
   c. check all files in permission 755 in Filter folder. To type :
          chomd 755 ./Filter/* ENTER
   d. copy all files in Backend folder to folder of cups's backend. To type :
          cp ./Filter/* /usr/lib/cups/filter/ ENTER
   e. check all files in permission 644 in Common folder. To type :
          chomd 644 ./Common/* ENTER
   f. copy all files in Common folder to folder of cups's backend. To type :
          cp ./Common/* /usr/lib/cups/backend/ ENTER
   g. create a hiti folder in cups's printer ppd model. To type :
          mkdir /usr/share/cups/model/hiti ENTER
   h. check all files in permission 644 in PPD folder. To type :
          chomd 644 ./PPD/* ENTER
   i. copy all files in Common folder to folder of cups's printer ppd model. To type :
          cp ./PPD/* /usr/share/cups/model/hiti/ ENTER
   j. restart your cups service. To type :
          /etc/init.d/cups restart ENTER