Help. How do I get a user name and password

E. Waltuch 1318efaron at tiscalinet.ch
Mon May 9 03:32:19 PDT 2011

Please help.
I have installed a series of foomatic and CUPS files to use a HP 1600 Colour Laser Printer with Mac OSX 10.6 which has no dative driver.
Now the next step is to call http://localhost:631/ and under Administration set the printer's setting to "coulour" instead of the default "monochrome".
However when I want to secure this printing settings, a CUPS user and password are requested from me in a window appearing on the top.
I tried with my admin acccount name and password but the window with the prompt comes again and again.
I set the "root" option in MAC OSX, which in its default position is off, and tried with "root" and its password. This did not help either.
The window still comes again and again.
I found somewhere in the web, that in the MAC Terminal-Utility I had to add myself as a user with the following:
"lppasswd -a myusername"
and give twice the password.
However this should be done apparently as "root" since with as admin it is refused.
I have no UNIX knowledge how to change the prompt which is:
"MyNames-Mac-Pro:~ myshortusername$ " ...
in order to be "root" and be accepted as a user with a password.
Or is there an easy way in CUPS to save the setting "color" as definitive default printing setting?
Thank you very very much for any kind help.
Edmond