Automatically purge jobs older than 1 hour

John Peden john at samuicentreoflearning.com
Wed May 11 21:35:28 PDT 2011

Hi,

I've setup two network printers on a Ubuntu server at my school and occasionally, the printers stop working. Staff are still able to send jobs to the printer but as they aren't printing, due to being out of ink or paper, the jobs back up in the system and (for some reason, even when deleted from the CUPS admin) print out hours later when the printer resumes.

I'd like to force all jobs to expire after 1 hour, that is, if they are sent to CUPS they appear in the print queue but are automatically purged if they are older than 1 hour.

I'm sure this can be done but I don't know how. Can anyone help?