cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!

Paul paul.conklin at cerner.com
Mon May 16 08:45:15 PDT 2011

getting the following errors on one of my CUPS nodes whenever I try and log into the WI as root (it won't let me) to alter the proprties of the printer (CUPS 1.3.7)

E [16/May/2011:08:21:49 -0700] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!
E [16/May/2011:08:21:49 -0700] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized

I assume it's talking about these files, which are the same / same size as my other nodes.

/etc/cups/ssl
08:37:41 # ls -l
total 8
-rw------- 1 root lp 1578 Oct 25  2010 server.crt
-rw------- 1 root lp 1679 Oct 25  2010 server.key

here is my cupsd.conf setting for permissions.  I can alter the printer properties from the command line, just not the WI

  # All administration operations require an administrator to authenticate...
  <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>