[cups.general] Set user and password in printer queue using lpd protocol

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed May 18 06:59:27 PDT 2011

Hello,

On May 18 05:36 Juanito wrote (excerpt):
> Hi, I hace in my work a Ricoh Aficio MP C3001,
> and for use it I must specify ldap user and password.
> It is configured for use with this uri: lpd://10.1.1.18/PASSTHRU
> How can I specify user and password? I've probed
> with lpd://user:pass@10.1.1.18/PASSTHRU but it don't work.

The CUPS lpd backend supports only a fixed username
(there is no authentication via LPD protocol)
to describe who requested a print job in the form
   lpd://username@ip-address-or-hostname/...

I don't know how one could provide credentials
to a Ricoh Aficio MP C3001 printer.
Perhaps something is possible via JCL options in the PPD file?
You may ask Ricoh for help here because they should know
how one could provide credentials to their printers.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner