Dell 1230c using Generic GDI driver

Andres Cimmarusti acimmarusti at gmail.com
Wed May 25 07:41:37 PDT 2011

hi,

I have been trying to find a driver for the Dell 1230c printer for
Linux without any success. I found this list, compiled by IBM, of several printers showing their corresponding printer data stream: https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas17997c91965ada7fc86256d43005680a0

With this information at hand, I selected: Generic GDI Printer Foomatic/gdi
And I was delighted to hear the printer working when I sent a test page to print. Unfortunately the only thing it printed was:

SPL-C ERROR - FALSE

POSITION : 0X0 (0)

SYSTEM   : src/xl_font

LINE     : 347

VERSION  : SPL-C 5.35 11-20-2007

My only thought right now is, do I need some sort of firmware for this to work? if so, where should I extract it to?

The manual for this printer, states that one can use
the PPD file with CUPS under MacOS. I perused around the MacOSX driver
installer without success.
Since you have a lot of experience, I was wondering if you could provide some insight in how to get this working. I ignore how difficult the task is, but I'm willing to put in some time.

Thanks in advance

Andres