cupsFilter (?) help

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Sat May 28 06:40:47 PDT 2011

Ray Spence wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Apologies if this has been answered already. I've looked.
>
> I have an HP4350 that will not print simplex, even when explicitly told to
> do so, if this HP4350 is set to duplex by default. This odd behavior seems
> associated with using the "HP Laserjet 4350 Postscript (recommended) (en)"
> driver as configured in CUPS. I've fixed this duplex-only issue by
> switching to the foomatic "HP Laserjet 4350 Foomatic/hpijs, hpijs 2.8.2.10
> - HPLIP 2.8.2 (en)" driver. So, now with foomatic, I can print simplex
> when requested. The problem now is that our existing local filter
> *cupsFilter: "application/postscript /usr/local/foobar" is totally
> ignored. This custom filter worked with the Postscript driver just fine.
> I'm nowhere near being an expert on the CUPS filtering process. Can
> someone please direct me to a solution here? Do I create a "local" types
> or conv file?
>
> Thanks,
> Ray

You didn't tell what your local filter
/usr/local/foobar
really does or is supposed to do. By default, it is the task of the pstops
filter to deal with the job options for PostScript files, including duplex
handling.
I suspect it xould be sufficient to change the cupsFilter line in your
PostScript PPD to
*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript nn /usr/local/foobar"
(where nn stands for the filter's cost, an integer), provided the PPD does
support duplex handling.
If in doubt, please post (an URL to) the PPD.

Helge