Empty file! pdftops

David Arendt david.arendt at luxair.lu
Tue May 31 04:34:40 PDT 2011

Hello,

I've installed cups on a Solaris 10 machine and configured a printer (lpd).

-----------------------------------
http://localhost:631/printers/ptest

ptest (Idle, Accepting Jobs, Not Shared)
Location:
Driver:	Canon iR5000-6000 (grayscale, 2-sided printing)
Connection:	lpd://ptest/ptest
Defaults:	job-sheets=none, none media=iso_a4_210x297mm sides=one-sided
-----------------------------------

It works when I'm printing a text file on shell, but it doesn't work when I want to print a PDF document.

# echo TEST | lp -d ptest
request id is ptest-71 (0 file(s))
-> OK

lp -d ptest  -n 1 /test.pdf
request id is ptest-70 (1 file(s))
-> NOK

Error message:
	demande_offre.pdf  	root  	158k  	Unknown  	stopped
"Empty print file!"

If im right, the PDF will be pass via a filter called pdftops. By lauching the command /opt/csw/lib/cups/filter/pdftops ptest root TEST 1 /test.pdf

the file will be transfered to /tmp as tempfile. This file stucks by 0k and do not print.

Has anybody an idea?

Thanks in advance,
Kind regard
David