[cups.general] Printing ps files in fixed order via lpr frontend

Jan Hubený hubeny at soma.cz
Tue May 31 11:39:25 PDT 2011

Dne 31.5.2011 03:59, Michael Sweet napsal(a):
> How is the queue configured? I.e. are you printing to a server or ???

I am not sure whether I understand your question. Therefore, I apologize
for following  broad description. We have red hat linux server (v. 5.3),
the CUPS (v. 1.3.7) is running  on this server. We have around 40
printers. They are all defined with ppd files. You can see the complete
cups configuration  in the attachment (cups.tar.gz is gzipped /etc/cups).

Further, we have another linux server. The apache web server is running
on this server. There are several bash cgi scripts on this server. One
cgi script is for the technical drawing printing. Parameters of this
script are printer name and file name.
the printing of the technical drawing makes following command:

    lpr  -P$printer "$file"

Last, we have a java rich client application. This application calls the
cgi script with web queries. It make one http query per one print
file/job. It waits until the cgi script finishes (i.e. the lpr command
inside the script finishes) before making another query.

However, the results are similar when we use more simpler setup which I
describe in previous mail. The order of the printed  files  on the
physical printer sometimes is not the same as the order of the print
jobs (see previous mail).

With regards,

Jan Hubeny