Problems with spontaneous pausing of printer...

dafreedm dafreedm at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 12:38:39 PST 2011

Hi,

I'm using cups version 1.4.4-7 installed on Debian Linux (Squeeze/6.0 Distro) and facing the following problem with an HP LaserJet P2200DN:

Every few days, some users will report that the printer is "no longer working".  Upon investigation, I discover that Cups has apparently "paused" this printer (though the few users I have on this system promise that they did no such thing --- at least not explicitly).  In general, due both to user education issues and access control settings, I have to get involved myself to restore the printer to its "printing" state.  Of course, Cups nicely retains jobs from the period in which the printer was paused; yet, this definitely causes heartburn both for my users and for me.

I've search online, and I've search this forum, to no avail.  Any suggestions on what might be occurring, here, please?

Thanks so much!