[cups.general] Problems with spontaneous pausing of printer...

Martin Schuster (IFKL IT OS DS CD) Martin.Schuster1 at infineon.com
Sun Nov 6 23:38:12 PST 2011

On 2011-11-06 21:38, dafreedm wrote:
> [...]
> Every few days, some users will report that the printer is "no longer
> working".  Upon investigation, I discover that Cups has apparently
> "paused" this printer (though the few users I have on this system
> promise that they did no such thing --- at least not explicitly).

I can't tell you why the printer had been paused (maybe network
problems?) but...

> [...] I have to get involved myself to restore the printer to its
> "printing" state.

... you could set the ErrorPolicy of the printer to retry-job.

Most likely it's currently set to stop-printer, so CUPS pauses
the printer whenever an error occurs.

lpadmin -o printer-error-policy=retry-job -d [printername]

hth,
Infineon Technologies IT-Services GmbH   Martin.Schuster1 at infineon.com
Lakeside B05, 9020 Klagenfurt, Austria   Martin Schuster
         FB: LG Klagenfurt, FN 246787y   +43 5 1777 3517