canon pixma ip4300

GernotHassenpflug ha4h-grnt at asahi-net.or.jp
Mon Nov 7 19:34:51 PST 2011

mikkel andersen wrote:
> is it in any way possible to get a higher print resolution on my canon ip4300 printer. I have searched the web for a way to increase  the standard setting-resolution, but have not been able to find anything. The 600x600 dpi's is very low for a printer that is designed for 9600x2400 dpi's. 600x600 dpi is not exactly photo quality!

Hello,

This is not a CUPS issue.
I'm the maintainer for the Canon backend in the gutenprint project. You
should direct your queries to the gutenprint project:

webpage: http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/
ML: gimp-print-devel at lists.sourceforge.net

To answer your question---and since I just made modifications to the
iP4300 code last night---it is currently not possible to print with
multiple passes on Canon devices. So they can only produce the highest
resolution available in the printhead (usually 600dpi).

The Epson backend already includes such code, and it is my plan to port
that to the Canon backend as soon as many other jobs---mainly addition
of many printers and support for more printer modes---have been
completed. You can stay tuned to more on the gutenprint MLs, and of
course I welcome any testing you can do with the iP4300!

Best regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug