Best way to implement printing forms (invoices, etc)?

Joe Greco cups.org at ef87ac57.biz.jgreco.net
Thu Nov 10 10:29:05 PST 2011

> Joe Greco wrote:
> You could use the "alternate pstops filter" (see the links on the CUPS web
> site). The filter published there is based on the 1.1.19 original; if you
> drop me an e-mail, I could send you a more recent source based on 1.3.5.
> This filter (use any 1.3.x sources to compile) can easily be used on 1.4.x
> (1.5.0 not tested).
> When using that filter, you can apply the preprinted forms as a watermark to
> the pages with a little bit of PostScript programming.

Wow, that looks kind of promising.  I had talked to some other PostScript hackers about this but it was kind of discouraging.  I haven't written any serious PS in near 20 years and only putter with it very infrequently, so I think the next intelligent question is ... "what's a little bit of PostScript programming?"

I'm not sure I have the time to undertake authoring our forms in PS, though I feel like pstops would be likely to work with this if I did.

It'd be preferable to be able to take an existing PS file (or author new ones using something like Mayura Draw) and use that, but I don't know how possible that really is.  Is that a likely possibility for someone of only modest PostScript skills?

Thanks for the lead, in any case!  I'm going to have to put together a CUPS VM now to go play with this a bit more.