[cups.general] Add printer: how is the "make" list populated?

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Sat Nov 12 10:43:03 PST 2011

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 09:39:06 -0800
chris stankevitz articulated:

> Hello,
>
> Using the CUPS 1.4 administrative web interface I have added a
> "Discovered Network Printer".  After clicking "continue" a couple of
> times I am asked for the "Make" of my printer.  I am offered a list:
> Dymo Epson Generic
>  HP
>  Intellitech
>  Oki
>  Raw
>  Zebra
>
> Questions:
>
>  - How did those "makes" get added to that list? (I didn't explicitly
> add them anywhere)
>
>  - How do I add an additional "make"?  (specifically "Brother" to get
> my HL-2270DW working)
>
> - Am I going about this the right way?

Brother supplies a driver your printer:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#HL-2270DW

Since I use FreeBSD, there printer drivers would not work on my system.
Therefore, I simply copied the *.PPD file from the Brother's Windows
Driver CD and pointed CUPS to that file. It works fine here.

--
Gerard ✌
gerard at seibercom.net