Cups default user and group for non-mac machines

chandrashekar chandu.ise at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 22:21:25 PST 2011

Hi,

Running cups on non-mac machine where user and group creation is blocked say example you cant create "lp" and "lpadmin" user/group. In those kind of scenario if i want my cups to run properly, I would like to run as root user/group, If i change the below parameters in config.h will the cups work. Please explain me about why explicit lp and lpadmin user/group creation is maintained in cups.

#define CUPS_DEFAULT_USER "root"
#define CUPS_DEFAULT_GROUP "root"
#define CUPS_DEFAULT_SYSTEM_GROUPS "root"
#define CUPS_DEFAULT_PRINTOPERATOR_AUTH "@SYSTEM"

Regards,
chandrashekar