[cups.general] Cups default user and group for non-mac machines

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Nov 16 23:11:49 PST 2011

On Nov 16, 2011, at 10:21 PM, chandrashekar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Running cups on non-mac machine where user and group creation is blocked say example you cant create "lp" and "lpadmin" user/group. In those kind of scenario if i want my cups to run properly, I would like to run as root user/group, If i change the below parameters in config.h will the cups work. Please explain me about why explicit lp and lpadmin user/group creation is maintained in cups.

We detect the local groups at configure time; you can't use "root" because that is 100% non-secure and guaranteed to result in your system being compromised.

If your non-mac machine does not offer user accounts other than root, it will not run CUPS as-is (you'll need to change the sources to disable the various security failsafes in cupsd...)