[cups.general] Konica Minolta bizhub C253 and authentication

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Thu Nov 24 07:35:31 PST 2011

Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:

> A Dijous 24 Novembre 2011, Helge Blischke va escriure:
>> Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > in my job we have a Konica Minolta bizhub C253 that requires that user
>> > authenticate to print a job.
>> >
>> > The windows driver could configure this option, but I have not be able
>> > to use it in the GNU/Linux or MacOs version.
>> >
>> > I have searched on the web and finally I got a page that target me [1],
>> > but I cannot set this options on mu printer.
>> >
>> > So, if I would like to activate a authenticate by job, I guess that I
>> > have to modify something in the ppd file of in the cupsd.conf file?
>> >
>> > Where can I set CUPS-Authenticate-Job parameter?
>> >
>> > best regards,
>> >
>> > Leo
>> >
>> > [1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1530162
>>
>> If you are using the printer's PostScript interpreter (not PCL6 or
>> PC-Fax), I probably can give you kind of a workaround if you only need a
>> limited amount of username/password combinations.
>
> I think that I would just print. I just need that the user could put their
> username/password combination.
>
> Regards,
>
> Leo

First, AFAIK, CUPS provides several autthentication methods for the clients
to authenticate against the cups server, not against individual printers.

Second, there is a technical issue: the autentication Konica Minolta uses
for the bizhub Cxxx printers (MFC devices, essentially), uses a proprietary
encryption method for the user name and password combination which requires
a proprietary client application to submit "secure" print jobs. And this
proprietary software is only provided for Windows platforms (2000 and up).

Helge