PPD drivers for HL-5270 deny printing jpg, tif

E. Gerlach jack at aiai.de
Sun Nov 27 13:36:45 PST 2011

Hi,

Brothers PPD file for HL-5270 is not able to print images. LaserJet4
with PCL5e works. But LaserJet4 does not work with different Tray's/
feeders. Who knows a solution?

Background:
I testes two PPD-driver for HL-5270 Laser printer (Brother) and both
don't allow printing images. I have a original brother PPD from 2008 and
the latest PPD-file from brother.de -> support. I printed using gwenview
or kuickshow in KDE. With both applications the job reaches the printer
and the printer works and works. The files are very small, 100 kB or
less, primitiv black/white scans. The printer queue ist blocked by such
a job. It seems that the HL-5270 does not understand postscript. The
HL-5270 has 32MB RAM.
Using LaserJet4 foomatic with PCL5e and the files are printed fine. But
I need to send the jobs to different Tray's/ feeders of HL-5270. Who
knows a solution?

I use CUPS 1.4.4-7 (debian squeeze).

thx
Ekkard