Printing to a remote server -- changing the username

Mary Ellen Foster mefoster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 03:34:15 PDT 2011

Hello all,

I'd like to be able to print from my laptop to any of the printers on the print server at work by simply setting the following in /etc/cups/client.conf:

ServerName      cups-server.macs.hw.ac.uk

Some print queues are restricted to particular users only, so this would work if the username on my laptop was the same as my official work username. However, it's not, which means I ("mef" on my local machine) can't see the printers I technically have access to (as "mef3" on the central server).

I can still print to those printers from the command line by doing "lpr -U mef3 <filename>", but I can't work out how to set that username globally through any CUPS interface. Is there some way to do this that I'm missing?

I'm using KDE on Fedora 15, for what it's worth