[cups.general] BROTHER MFC-9560CDW

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Tue Oct 4 05:25:46 PDT 2011

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 04:24:20 -0700
Matthias Apitz articulated:

> Gerard Seibert wrote:
>
> > I have tried using the "GENERIC" cups PPD file, but then it will
> > onlyh print in basic B/W. I don't even know if it will support
> > multiple fonts like that. I will try your suggestion though.
> > Microsoft apparently prints to it using LPD as described above in
> > RAW format.
>
> Why do you think that it will only print "basic B/W" (whatever this
> means)? If you have a Postscript or PCL file with collors, it should
> print them. Fetch http://www.unixarea.de/print.ps and print it, what
> does it show?

B/W == "Bland and White" also referred to as monochrome by some.

I played around with the setting in CUPS and finally arrived at this
one:

Location:	Network
Driver:		Generic PostScript Printer (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection:	lpd://BRW0022587025CB/BINARY_P1
Defaults:	job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided

I was using the Generic PCL driver that only afforded B/W output:

Location:	Network
Driver:		Local Raw Printer (grayscale)
Connection:	lpd://BRW0022587025CB/BINARY_P1
Defaults:	job-sheets=none, none media=unknown

And this one:

Location:	Network
Driver:	Generic PCL Laser Printer (grayscale, 2-sided printing)
Connection:	lpd://BRW0022587025CB/BINARY_P1
Defaults:	job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided

For whatever reason, I had not noticed the "Postscript" driver before.

Thanks for your help.

--
Gerard ✌
gerard at seibercom.net

Kramer's Law:
	You can never tell which way the train went by looking at the
tracks.