[cups.general] Brother MFC-9560CDW

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Wed Oct 5 03:21:36 PDT 2011

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 05:57:59 -0400
Adam Tauno Williams articulated:

> On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 12:43 -0400, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> > Operating system: FreeBSD-8.2 amd6
> > I recently purchased a Brother MFC-9560CDW printer. I am having a
> > problem getting it running with CUPS on my FreeBSD system. Cups
> > detects this printer: Connection: lpd://BRW0022587025CB/BINARY_P1
> > and I can print a "Self Test Page". This is how CUPS detects the
> > printer: Description:	Brother MFC-9560CDW
> > Location:	Local Printer
> > Driver:	Brother MFC-9560CDW CUPS (color, 2-sided printing)
> > Connection:	lpd://BRW0022587025CB/BINARY_P1
> > Defaults:	job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in
> > sides=one-sid
> > Now, although I can print a "Self Test Page" that consists of three
> > lines of info
> > Brother MFC-9560CDW
> > 3010.106 5
> > -888078524
> > I cannot get it to print a standard test page. I am seeing this
> > error message displayed tough:
> > idle - "Filter
> > "/usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/brlpdwrappermfc9560cdw" for printer
> > "Brother_MFC-9560CDW" not available: No such file or directory"
>
> On CentOS6 / CUPS 1.4.2 I have numerous Brother MFC-9840CDW and
> Brother MFC-9970CDW units, these work very well.  I'm using the
> "Brother MFC-9840CDW BR-Script3" driver for the 9840 and the "Brother
> MFC-9420CN BR-Script3 (color)" driver for the 9970 units [not certain
> why the 9420 for the 9970s, looking in our groupware system I don't
> see any comments about that].  These printers support both Postscript
> and IPP.

As I reported earlier, I did finally get it to work with the generic
driver supplied by CUPS:

Driver:	Generic PostScript Printer (color, 2-sided printing)

The color output is not as good as when an identical document is
printed from a Windows machine using the supplied Brother driver
however. I have still not gotten around to seeing if the "fonts" print
out as well using the generic driver as opposed to using a Brother
driver. Unfortunately, Brother does not supply a driver that is
suitable for FreeBSD. At least not one that I can easily install
without making major changes in the script files supplied, etc.

I have bugged Brother about this and have had other FreeBSD users also
request support from them. Perhaps someday they will supply suitable
drivers for my OS.

--
Gerard ✌
gerard at seibercom.net