Impact/managemnt of Solaris Patch Bundles to Cups (Ticket100711A)

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Fri Oct 7 07:55:46 PDT 2011

ed smith wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> What is your method for management of OS patches to Unix environments?
> Whenever we apply patch bundles to our Solaris 10 systems, they often
> times overlay the various CUPS utilities with native Solaris versions-
> (lp, lpstat, cancel, enable, etc ) or change the links. The man pages get
> stomped on as well. I currently manually repair this, using detailed
> reference info. However, this is cumbersome. We have 200+ production
> printers around the country, so impact is great if I miss something.
> Surely others are faced with this same issue. What are the "best
> practices" today?
>
> Thanks!
> Ed Smith McQuay

Well, what I did all the time I was responsible for Solaris boxes (2.52 up
to 11) I firstly installed CUPS (and other things not native to Solaris) in
a directory tree residing beneath /usr/local or /opt and secondly made a
Perl script to fix the remaining issues after installing Solaris
updates/patches.

Helge