RDC printer redirect \ CUPS modification ughhhhh!

Jim jim at elgart.net
Mon Oct 10 16:10:11 PDT 2011

I keep a virtual desktop on a Server 2008 R2 environment that I connect from Mac 10.7.  I have a brother MFC 7340 (lion cups driver) that I'd like to print to locally via the redirect function.  I have the 64 bit driver installed (and the brother generic pcl5e driver as an alternative) and I can confirm that the remote session passes the file to the local mac.  In the printer queue on the mac, I get the dreaded "can't convert postscript file"  I'm a finance guy, not a tech guy, but I can see that the issue MIGHT have something to do with unix security when passing a raw file to CUPS.  two articles suggested a modification to the
/etc/cups/mime.types and /etc/cups/mime.conv file.  HOWEVER, those files don't exist and I tried making the modification to the closest looking files to those names, which I admit is a little stupid.

Brother doesn't want to help, they don't support remote printing.

It makes me crazy because I can't get the answer, but I know to somebody out there it's like eating a handful of cheezits and flipping the channel.  Any suggestions????