[cups.general] Printer ejects only a blank page

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Wed Oct 12 03:14:00 PDT 2011

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:12:42 -0700
Paul Conklin articulated:

> > I am using Cups 1.5.0 with FreeBSD-8.2/amd64. My printer is set up
> > with Cups and prints a test page perfectly.
> >
> > The problem is if I go to print a document, say from my MUA or
> > Firefox and choose the printer from the pop-up menu, only a blank
> > page is ejected from the printer. Now, if I choose the "LPR" option
> > the document is printed normally. The printer is on a wireless
> > network and works fine from my Windows machines. On my FreeBSD
> > machine, I have the computer hooked up via cable to the router
> > since there is no driver available for the wireless card in the PC.
> >
> > The Cups' log file indicates that everything printed perfectly, even
> > thought it obviously didn't.
> >
> > I have no idea how to debug this problem. It just doesn't make any
> > sense.

> Best guess?  One way is printing raw and the other is printing via a
> ppd and transforming the job.  the printer probably doesn't support
> PostScript and one job is being transformed to PCL while the other is
> keeping it in postscript.

Printer Information:

Location:	Network
Driver:	Generic PostScript Printer (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection:	lpd://BRW0022587025CB/BINARY_P1
Defaults:	job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided

The printer supports both PCL6 and Postscrpt so I don't think that is
the problem.

--
Gerard ✌
gerard at seibercom.net