Driver request - Brother MFC 7440N

Ron Campbell ron at campbell.mx
Thu Oct 13 09:58:43 PDT 2011

How do we request a CUPS driver to be created?  I have a Brother MFC-7440n and would like an x64 driver that can be used.  I am using Ubuntu x64.

I have contacted brother and it appears it can work with some tinkering, (I have copied their response below).  I may be able to fumble my way through this as I'm not a Linux expert but I'm sure others may not be able to (nor do I think it should be required at all).

My question is this:
Is it possible to create a CUPS driver or PPD file so that Ubuntu will just detect the printer and install it and print as expected without having to delve into the command line.

Here is the Brother Linux driver page:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/index.html

from this page there are links to the source code for this MFC printer/scanner and many other brother printers and scanners.

Here is a direct link to the source codes page for the Linux drivers:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_src.html#srccd_p1

I appreciate your responses.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Brother Canada’s Support Team.

I understand you are running a 64 bit version of Linux and wish to use the drivers we have on our website. As you have noticed, there are no 64 bit drivers on our website. The only drivers we have developed are 32 bit; however we have attempted to address this issue.

I'm using a Linux 64 bit edition. Can I use the Brother Linux printer drivers?

Yes. Brother printer drivers are created and optimized for 32 bit version of Linux, but those can be used for 64 bit Linux also. Some additional steps are required.

For rpm users:
1. Install the standard C library for 32bit applications (e.g. glibc.i686(Fedora), libstdc++ for 32bit(openSUSE))

2. Create some folders if it is required
2-1. Create /usr/lib/cups/filter if it does not exist.

Command1: mkdir /usr/lib/cups
Command2: mkdir /usr/lib/cups/filter

2-2. Create /usr/share/cups/model if it does not exist

Command: mkdir /usr/share/cups/model

3. Install the drivers.

4. Copy brlpdwrapperXXX files under /usr/lib/cups/filter/ to /usr/lib64/cups/filter/

Command: cp /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapper* /usr/lib64/cups/filter

For dpkg users:
1. Install the standard c library for 32bit applications (e.g. lib32stdc++6(Debian) or ia32-libs(Ubuntu))
2. Create some folders if it is required
2-1. Create /usr/lib/cups/filter if it does not exist.

Command1: mkdir /usr/lib/cups
Command2: mkdir /usr/lib/cups/filter

2-2. Create /usr/share/cups/model if it does not exist

Command: mkdir /usr/share/cups/model

3. Install the drivers using "--force-architecture" or "--force-all"option.

4. Copy brlpdwrapperXXX files under /usr/lib/cups/filter/ to /usr/lib64/cups/filter/

Command: cp /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapper* /usr/lib64/cups/filter

5. Copy libbrXXXX files under /usr/lib/ to /usr/lib32/ if /usr/lib32 exists.

Command : cp /usr/lib/libbr* /usr/lib32/

I hope I answered your question and if not, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you,

At your side,

Paul

Brother Canada Customer Support Team