[cups.general] Printer ejects only a blank page

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Fri Oct 14 08:07:21 PDT 2011

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 07:33:50 -0700
Paul Conklin articulated:

> > On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 15:55:42 -0700
> > Paul Conklin articulated:

> > > Ironically, Michael just posted how to about posts prior...
> > > http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?s23669+gcups.general+v23674+T0
> > >
> > OK, after following those instructions I tried to print a file.
> > This is the beginning of the file that was created:
> >
> > %!PS-Adobe-3.0
> > %%Creator: GPL Ghostscript 902 (ps2write)
> > %%LanguageLevel: 2
> > %%CreationDate: D:20111013055027-04'00'
> > %%For: (gerard)
> > %%Title: (claws-mail job #8)
> > %RBINumCopies: 1
> > %%Pages: (atend)
> > %%BoundingBox: (atend)
> > %%EndComments
> > %%BeginProlog
> >
> > This is the pertinent information from CUPS:
> >
> > Driver:	Generic PostScript Printer (color, 2-sided printing)
> > Connection:	file:///usr/home/gerard/tmp/ps-test
> > Defaults:	job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in
> > sides=one-sided
> >
> > I know that this might seem strange; however, I do remember this
> > working correctly under "CUPS 1.48". I recently updated to the 1.50
> > version (FreeBSD) and ever since then this problem has arisen.

> Ok, is this the way that did or did not print?  can you also try the
> opposite way to see if it prints postscript as well?  I know you had
> said if you print one way it worked, the other didnt (or i could be
> thinking of someone elses post, i haven't had my coffee yet)

You lost me again. Using this configuration, I can print a test file
from cups. This is the truncated output:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%%Creator: bannertops/CUPS v1.5.0
%%CreationDate: Fri Oct 14 10:45:43 2011
%%LanguageLevel: 2
%%DocumentData: Clean7Bit
%%Title: (Test Page)

Now, if I change the configuration to print to the printer instead of a
file, it print the test page. The problem is when I choose the printer
from a pop-up menu when I want to print a document only a blank page is
ejected. If I choose the LPR option then the actual document is printed.

I do clearly remember that things worked correctly before I updated to
version 1.5.0 of CUPS. Has there been some change made that could be
causing this?

I also tried doing "lpr ./ps-test" and the test page printed fine.
"ps-test" is the name of the test file I am using. Now, if I do a: lpr
-PTestPrinter ./ps-test the file is again rewritten by the test printer
I am using. That file is identical to the one that CUPS originally
created and that was just printed by my primary printer via lpr.

This makes absolutely no sense. Why can I only print via lpr?

--
Gerard ✌
gerard at seibercom.net

Engineering:	"How will this work?"
Science:	"Why will this work?"
Management:	"When will this work?"
Liberal Arts:	"Do you want fries with that?"