Brother DCP-9010CN: fine with USB, not recognized as network printer

Frank B. Brokken f.b.brokken at rug.nl
Sun Oct 16 08:23:18 PDT 2011

Hi all,

Recently I bought a Brother DCP-9010CN printer. However, I can only get it to work from my Linux (Debian testing, kernel 3.0.0-1-686-pae) using its USB connection. The Cups webinterface does report the Brother network printer,but when querying the printer I get a status screen showing

▼ ID ▼	              Name    User     Size Pages   State	Control
Brother_DCP-9010CN-25 Unknown Withheld 1k   Unknown processing since
                                                    Sun Oct 16 17:03:13 2011
                                                    "Unable to locate printer
                                                    "BRN001BA972583F"."
While trying to solve the problem I've done things like reinstall all the cups-software, reinstall the driver, tried to use the foomatic and the Brother provided ppd file, etc. etc., but to no avail.

On the other hand, the driver seems to be OK, as I can print and access the printer for scanning using its USB connection. Moreover, from another computer, running Windows, the network printer is readily recognized and works like a charm.

The Linux box has no active firewall that might be spoiling the fun, and the printer, the Linux box and the Windows computer are all on the same network range, so that's not causing the problem either.

Any help in solving this issue is greatly appreciated. If some specific details are missing, please let me know.