[cups.general] Create color / black and white queues from color printer

Daniel J. Soto sotorodriguez at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 03:18:39 PDT 2011

Hello all,

it is possible that another people have been asked the same question but I'm
googling from last ten days and I have not found anything about this that I
can use...

I'm looking for a way to create two queues from the same color printer, one
for printing in color and one for printing in black and white (or
grayscale). I've tryed to modify the ppd file manually setting de attribute
ColorDevice to false but it doesn't work. My objetive is to do this
internally from my (php) program but I'm trying to do manually before for
understanding the process... It's seems CUPS doesn't read the ppd file
before printing (ubuntu)...

Perphaps anybody have had the same problem before... or knows how I do that
or where I can find info about doing that...

I would be much obliged for any hepful information...

Regards,
Daniel.