HP laserJets Barcodes and CUPS

peter plinehan at dek.com
Tue Oct 18 07:54:53 PDT 2011

I need to be able to send text files, from RHEL 5,  to a HP Laserjet printer containing Barcode ( 128 format ) information.
Currently I have working, outside the application, the following

lp -o raw  -d printername  SetBarCode
which sets up the font on the printer ( all the control codes/escape sequences are in the SetBarCode file)

Then to print

lp -o raw -d printername Filename

With the Filename having been formatted with a CR and LF at the end of each line
and the escape sequences needed to select the Barcode font and return to normal font afterwards.

The application developer has come back and said that the space he has for entering the print instruction is not long enough to contain all of this !!!

And yes he could format up the SetBarCode + Filename into a single file BUt he still says that the -o raw ... causes the text to be too long.

If I try to print the file without -o raw - I am told the file is empty

Is there any way I can do this via a PPD file ? or a Filter ?

All help appreciated
Peter