[cups.general] Does cups support printing microsoft doc and ppt printing

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Oct 20 01:15:33 PDT 2011

Hello,

On Oct 20 00:48 chandrashekar wrote (excerpt):
> Can you please let me know if there is any option to enable
> cups printing doc's and ppt files. Do I need to change in mime.types
> and mime.convs or do i need to add seperate filters for these
> conversions.

See
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_from_Windows_to_Linux
The filtering system on a CUPS server accepts plain text, PostScript,
PDF, JPEG, PNG, and a few other graphics formats. Normally, the
filtering system on a CUPS print server cannot convert Microsoft Office
documents or other proprietary formats into printer-specific data
because an appropriate filtering program is not available.

But if I remember correctly there is somewhere a filter available
which runs OpenOffice to convert at least some kind of Microsoft
Office documents into PostScript or PDF...

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner