Does cups support printing microsoft doc and ppt printing

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Fri Oct 21 02:25:02 PDT 2011

chandrashekar wrote:

>> > Hi
>> >
>> > Can you please let me know if there is any option to enable cups
>> > printing doc's and ppt files. Do I need to change in mime.types and
>> > mime.convs or do i need to add seperate filters for these conversions.
>>
>> You may also look at the officetops filter at the cups.org links.
>>
>> Helge
>>
> Hi,
>
> I am looking at officetops filter to get configured on my machine. I have
> 2 issues here.
>
> 1. when I launch spadmin Add Printer ->Choose PPD, which PPD to choose ?
> they say Acrobat Distiller where do I find it ? Ubuntu doesnt support such
> package right ? 2. when I do "su lp". I am unable to open soffice. Getting
> below error: soffice.bin X11 error: Cant open display: Set DISPLAY
> environment variable, use -display option.
>
> Note: soffice is running only with root privilege.
>
> How do I resolve these issues. Please help me out

The Add Printer dialog should display a list of printers, the first of the
listed printers should read "Acrobat Distiller 3.0". If this isn't there,
the preset "Generic Printer" should be OK.

soffice and its childs require a running X server and need the display
number to open, so set the DISPLAY environment variable correctly.
You need to set up a "fake" X server (like Xvfb) if your CUPS is running on
a headless machine. Please tell us on what system you are going to install
this filter.

And no, soffice should be world-executable.

Helge