Does cups support printing microsoft doc and ppt printing

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Fri Oct 21 06:23:09 PDT 2011

chandrashekar wrote:

>> > The Add Printer dialog should display a list of printers, the first of
>> > the listed printers should read "Acrobat Distiller 3.0". If this isn't
>> > there, the preset "Generic Printer" should be OK.
>> >
>> > soffice and its childs require a running X server and need the display
>> > number to open, so set the DISPLAY environment variable correctly.
>> > You need to set up a "fake" X server (like Xvfb) if your CUPS is
>> > running on a headless machine. Please tell us on what system you are
>> > going to install this filter.
>> >
>> > And no, soffice should be world-executable.
>> >
>> > Helge
>> >
>> 1. I added the printer properly with "Generic Printer"
>> 2. Installed svfb, verified X Server running via startx its running, Set
>> DISPLAY=:0.0 3. I switched to "su lp" and try to open soffice I am
>> getting below issues stat: cannot read file system information for
>> `/var/spool/lpd': No such file or directory
>> [Java framework] Error in function createSettingsDocument (elements.cxx).
>> javaldx failed!
>> Failed to open display
>>

> System I am using is Ubuntu 11.04(Natty)

First, after starting Xvfb (I think this is the name of the fake X server on
Ubuntu Natty), determine the name of the fake X display. It may be different
from ":0.0". You can get it using the ps command. Moveover, if you start the
X server using startx, this will *set* the DISPLAY variable.

And, if not existing, make (as root !) the directory /var/spool/lpd and then
execute
chown lp:lp /var/spool/lpd
(provided the group for user lp is also lp; you can get this by "id lp")

And last, for executing soffice as user lp for the first time, you need to
su - lp

Perhaps (I only have an Ubuntu derived system at hand) you first need to
switch to root by
sudo -i
(using your own password) in order to become root in order to be able to su
to lp without any password request.

Helge