Error Message when Adding Printer

Gene Mosher genemosher at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 09:06:28 PDT 2011

I'm on Debian unstable 1.50.10 and perhaps this is only happening there but when I first go to Administration > Find Printers there is no detection of my USB point of sale printer.  The workaround is to first select Add Printers, then select Find Printers, at which point the printer is detected.

The other problem I'm having, a showstopper, is that when I try to add this printer, after I have named the printer, I continue to attach a raw text driver but I get an error: Unable to get list of printer drivers, "Unknown".  Is this a directory path issue, perhaps?

I've been using CUPS for many years but this is an unpleasant bump in the road and I regret that I'm the only person reporting these issues, I think.