Open firmware for printers, privacy?

jago pearce jago25_98 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 23 14:24:20 PDT 2011

I'm sorry if this might be slightly offtopic. Tell me what you think.

 I stumbled on this today:
https://www.eff.org/pages/list-printers-which-do-or-do-not-display-tracking-dots

 Apparently, printers embed things like yellow dots so that the source where something was printed can be traced. I think it has it's rooted in stopped counterfeit money but I bet it's made more difference in things like examining contracts and things in corporate lawsuits.

 Well this is interesting!

 However, I was thinking of printing off some fliers for the Occupy people last week and I kind of think, can they tell it's my printer??

 I think the answer is probably that it only identifies the make and model. But still, it makes one think. Is there a way to print something anonymously anymore?

 There have been times where I've written an angry letter to a company and not left a name. Now I think, 'do I really want to do that'. So now I suppose, is there such a thing as open drivers and firmware for people who want security over what they print?