data sitting in spool and not printing

Bill Greganti bill at theitdept.com
Thu Oct 27 09:53:59 PDT 2011

Hi everyone,

I have a client that has just upgraded from an old IBM AIX server to a new RHEL 6 server. I installed CUPS on the server to setup printing to 2 serial dot matrix priners and 1 network printer.  The printers work from the GUI and command line.

They are using a software package that runs on T-bred, but other than that I don't know much about it.  We use the software company's support for that, but they say this is a Linux problem and they are not sure how to fix it.

My problem is when they print from the software package it opens the print job and spools some data to the printer, but does not close the print job.  So the spooling never finishes and nothing comes out of the printer. For example, when they print checks, it supposed to print an alignment pattern first.  They verify that the alignment is good, and then continue the job printing all the checks.  But the alignment pattern gets stuck in spooling and doesn't print until they exit the check module of the software.

They say this is not a problem with the software as it worked fine on AIX.  They tell me I need to turn off spooling, which I don't see any way to do.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

TIA,
Bill