CUPS 1.4 to CUPS 1.5 causes Lexmark driver workaround to fail?

Kyle Somerville kylesom at aol.com
Sat Oct 29 09:49:55 PDT 2011

Am posting this up here in the hope someone might be able to help...

There was previously a workaround for the unsupported Lexmark 2500 series printer in Ubuntu.  I had the workaround working perfectly in a previous version of Ubuntu (9.10) which I believe used CUPS 1.4.

I've upgraded my Ubuntu and now have CUPS 1.5 - the workaround now fails as the workflow can't be followed - see the thread on Ubuntuforums.org here:

(see step 6 of the original workaround, and post#30 for how CUPS 1.5 means it doesn't work any more.

Is there any way in CUPS 1.5 to circumvent the problem, or how can I roll back CUPS to install my printer?

Any and all help very much appreciated!!