[cups.general] How do I get HiTi 640PS printer wokring in CUPS 1.4

Stuart T Rogers stuart at stella-maris.org.uk
Fri Sep 2 01:07:44 PDT 2011

I have a USB connected HiTi 640PS dye-sub printer which works fine in
Windows but I want to see if I can install the drivers in Linux, which
were built some years ago for CUPS 1.1 or so, on CUPS 1.4.

These drivers were built to use a backend driver program called
HitBEDriver. I have downloaded the code from their US website and tried
to install but although I can set up a printer it will not print to the
printer. The PPD checks out OK by the way.

I remember reading some time ago that changes were made to USB support
and backends for Epson printers had to be changed so I am wondering what
might need to happen with these drivers.

Can someone please tell me in general how to correctly install these
drivers so that CUPS uses the backend program to print directly?

Thanks ....  Stuart
--
Website: http://www.stella-maris.org.uk
or:      http://www.broadstairs.org