[cups.general] setting up HP OfficeJet Pro 8500A Plus (91)

Matthew Monaco matt at 0x01b.net
Fri Sep 2 10:30:35 PDT 2011

On 09/01/2011 08:57 PM, Matthew Monaco wrote:
> I just got a new printer, my first HP. This printer seems to have a lot of bells
> and whistles so I wanted to get some advice about how to configure it. I
> currently have it connected via the network, I'd prefer not to use USB.
>
> I assume I need hplip if I want to use it with port 9100 (JetDirect), but that I
> can use lpd, https, ipps without it.
>
> My goal is to have features exposed and handled properly like duplix printing,
> reverse printing, printer quality, etc. Which protocol should I use?
>
> After the printer is set up, is it correct that I can disable the discovery
> features like bonjour, wins, and slp?
>
> Is there anything else that I should be aware of?
>

> Thank you!
>
> Matt

I'm trying to use port 9100. When I configure through hp-setup/hp-toolbox I get
a URI like: hp:/net/Officejet_Pro_8500_A910?zc=8500aplus. When I do it manually
I set socket://<ip_address>:9100. Is there a difference? I've tried both hpijs
and hpcups, I'm not sure what the difference is. Either way, when I print a get
a few pages of garble, like something is not being converted properly.