[cups.general] Hardcode path to USB printer using libusb

Thomas York straterra at fuhell.com
Tue Sep 6 12:43:38 PDT 2011

I'm using cups 1.4.4 on an fully-up-to-date Debian Squeeze (6). This
device is an embedded ARM device that has a single USB port. It's sole
purpose is to be a print server with Zebra barcode printers (using the
RAW driver in cups). I can print without issue by using the DeviceURI
that the cups web management console detected for the USB Zebra printer.
The problem is that this DeviceURI references both the exact model and
serial number of the printer.

I did some digging and it appears that cups now uses libusb as its
backend. I also read that I should be able to use
usb:///dev/bus/usb/002/001 (which is the correct libusb path to anything
plugged in to the USB port on this device) to reference the printer.
I've tried to change the DeviceURI in cups to this path, but it simply
doesn't work. I see nothing in the logs about errors printing to it. The
job simply doesn't print.

Is there something simple I'm missing on getting this to work? Thanks.

--Thomas York