CUPS 1.4.3 && printing UTF-8 text

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Fri Sep 9 04:12:35 PDT 2011

> On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 08:14 -0700, Helge Blischke wrote:
> > You will need to get (buy?) a full featured monospaced font and probably=20
> > modify the texttops filter to handle that fon(s) if it is not a plain typ=
> e1=20
> > font.
>
> ....or use the paps-based 'texttopaps' filter, which uses pango to get
> glyph coverage from other fonts when necessary.
>
> Tim.

Hello,

Two questions concerning this:

1.
I can only see 'paps' sources itself http://paps.sourceforge.net/ and a lot of mentioned 'texttopaps' filter (esp. in RedHat), but no source for 'texttopaps'; could someone point me please to the sources? Thanks.

2.
I played around with paps 0.6.8 from the above site. But can't print CJK.
The exsample file in the page http://paps.sourceforge.net/small-hello.utf8
is painted fine on my X11 desktop using

$ pango-view small-hello.utf8

but when I run

$ paps small-hello.utf8 > small-hello.ps

Ghostscript just says:

$ gs small-hello.ps
GPL Ghostscript 8.71 (2010-02-10)
Copyright (C) 2010 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
/usr/local/share/ghostscript/fonts/n019003l.pfb... 2694352 1120245
4055652 2768425 1 done.
>>showpage, press <return> to continue<<

and the CJK is not shown (nor printed on Postscript printers). As well
my generated Postscript file is only ~30 Kbytes while the original one
at the page http://paps.sourceforge.net/small-hello.ps is around 90
Kbytes.

Any idea what I am missing here?

Thanks in advance