Printing from a hodgepodge of Windows clients

Steve Bergman sbergman27 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 16:44:00 PDT 2011

I have a situation where I'm mostly only in charge of the CUPS print server on a network where each Windows user is his or her own Windows admin whether they know what they are doing or not. They print via Samba which has been queuing the jobs to CUPS with the 'raw' option. This has worked reasonably well, all things considered. But I'm having instances where misconfigured Windows boxes are sending raw PDF images to printers that can't handle PDF. As of this evening I've removed the 'cups options = raw' line from Samba's smb.conf file.

Looking at the mime configuration, and if I'm reading it right, postscript print jobs will be handled just like postscript jobs from another CUPS spooler, PCL will be handled as 'raw', and PDF's will be processed to postscript, just as the spooler is currently doing for the Linux print jobs.

Am I correct? Is this a reasonable thing to do? Any caveats?

Also, when a postscript job gets queued without the 'raw' option... what does happen? Is it sent on through unchanged? Or is there some processing done on it before it goes to the printer?

Thanks,
Steve Bergman