[cups.general] sco unix to centos printing

quiliro at congresolibre.org quiliro at congresolibre.org
Tue Sep 13 14:14:49 PDT 2011

<cita quién="Steve Bergman">
> First, I extend sincere condolences to you on your need to run SCO Unix. I
> did that for 10 years or so. It's like something out of the dark ages
> compared to modern Linuxes and BSDs.

I agree totally. They cannot change the OS because their Oracle aplication
made 15 years ago does not work on GNU. I do not know why it doesn't.

> Anyway, you're going to need to give a little more detail. What printing
> protocol is being used? This might be LPR/LPD or IPP.

LPR/LPD
The command issued on Unix is:
ld -dtlpi90

> Does your SCO Unix
> use CUPS?

No.

> Or is it still using the old SysV spooler?

I suppose. How can I find this out?

> What version of SCO
> Unix? And this *is* SCO Open Server, right? And not SCO Unixware?

SCO Unix OS 5.0.4

> If you can provide that information, I can make some guesses as to what
> the problem might be.

Thanks.

> My preliminary guesses are that when upgrading the CentOS you either lost
> the lpd print server configuration in /etc/xinetd.d, or something changed
> regarding your IPP printer sharing in /etc/cupsd.conf.

The problem does not come up on Centos 4.5. Centos 5.4 is a brand new
installation. It works with lp from other GNU operating system
distributions but not from Unix.

I am hopping to install a fully free OS with no non-free bits
http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html . If I can make Unix's lp
print with on new version of CUPS on GNU I am sure I can help them with
their printing problem and also remove their non free bits by using a free
distro.

Thank you for taking your time. :-)

--
Quiliro Ordóñez