CUPS+HPLIP Laser printer print one page at time in multiple copies or multi multiple pages documents

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Wed Sep 14 06:11:37 PDT 2011

Rollo Tommasi wrote:

> Il 13/09/2011 18.11, Helge Blischke ha scritto:
>>
>> Of course you need to restart CUPS after making such changes.
>
> Yep, twice.
>
>> To dig deeper into the issue, pelase do the following:
>>
>> 1) cupsctl --debug-logging
>> 2) print a test job (more than one page, please)
>> 3) after the job has been finished, do
>>      cupsctl --no-debug-logging
>> 4) post (an URL to) both the PPD used and the portion of the error_log
>>     containing the messages related to the test job.
>
> debug output -> http://pastebin.com/4Qrr4uV6
> ppd -> http://pastebin.com/UQmLHW2u

First, the error_log you posted mentions a HP proprietary(?) filter which is
not part of standard CUPS. And the PPD you posted does not request such a
filter. Is it possible that the PPD you really use is different from that
you posted?

Second, from your log I learn that the printer is configured using the hp
backend. I looked into the source of this backend (a fairly recent version)
and found nothing that could explain the 5 zo 6 second delay between pages -
unless the printout is generated by an application that generates an
individual print job vor every page (I know this behaviour from some weird
Windows applications, but ...).

Helge