Printing from a hodgepodge of Windows clients

Steve Bergman sbergman27 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 07:54:26 PDT 2011

> As for PostScript jobs: they are by default (unless CUPS as been configured
> differently) fed through the pstops filter which evaluates all defaults and
> job specific settings from the printer's PPD. This may conflict with the job
> settings specified by the Windows printing system (PSCRIPT5 normally), which
> may produce results other than the submitter of the job may have intended.

Indeed, that is what happened.

> My suggestion to your problem is as follows:
>
> *) in your smb.conf, replace "printing = cups" by e.g. printing =SYSV or
> BSD.
>
> *) Write a script (Shell, Perl, Python, or whatever you like), say,
> process_windows_stuff, which

This was extremely helpful. But perhaps in a different way than intended. It's a very good solution, provided I'm willing to cower and let my config get sullied due to a mess which really exists somewhere else. (You gave me a good answer to the question that I asked.)

But I decided that this might be a good time for a more passive-aggressive strategy. I set up "point and shoot" driver downloads, using the cups-windows-postscript driver. And then just left "cups options = raw" commented out, thus breaking Windows printing for some fraction of users. The Windows Experts did their usual "delete the printer and reinstall" thing. And voilĂ ! Everything is fine.

Sometimes you've just got to have some cojones in these instances. ;-)

Thanks for your help. That was what I really intended to, belatedly, say in this post.

-Steve