[cups.general] Print Station software for CUPS?

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Tue Sep 20 13:15:29 PDT 2011

In regard to: [cups.general] Print Station software for CUPS?, Andre Paris...:

>  Does anyone know of any print station software for CUPS? Basically a
>  computer terminal attached to the printer with an interface to allow
>  someone to type in their userid and password then select which print
>  jobs you wish to print out before the document is printed.

Search terms I would recommend are

 	pay for print
 	print chargeback
 	print quota
 	managed printing

You'll find plenty of vendors that can integrate with CUPS.

>From that list, we're using GoPrint, though not currently with CUPS (our
spooler is currently LPRng, though I'm considering switching it to CUPS).

Depending on print volume in your environment, you may not want people
to have to go through the time of typing in authentication info at a
print release station.  One of the reasons why we chose GoPrint several
years ago is that it could integrate with our campus ID card system of
the time, so users could authenticate at the release station using a
card swipe.  *Much* faster than forcing them to type.

One other aspect to consider for print release stations: cold and flu
season.  In a busy environment, the print release station becomes a
veritable Petri dish.

Tim