[cups.general] moving a CUPS configuration (or saving configuration before re-install)

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Sep 27 06:13:57 PDT 2011

Hello,

On Sep 27 05:46 Matthias Apitz wrote (excerpt):
> I want to move a CUPS configuration from one host to another (or do a
> re-install from scratch) but without having to add all my 50++ printers
> again;
>
> I've checked the installed CUPS tree and it seem that it is enough to save
> and copy to its place again the following files:
>
> etc/cups/ppd/*.ppd
> etc/cups/cupsd.conf
> etc/cups/printers.conf
>
> Anything I'm missing?

What about the other files in /etc/cups ?

It depends on your particular configuration of your particular
CUPS version what you in your particular case have to copy
and what you in your particular case may leave out.

See the section "Command-line Tools" in
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
Never copy configuration files from other systems to your system
unless you know exactly what you are doing.
Use command-line tools instead.

For example, to set up the same queues on several machines
(e.g., for a backup server), do not copy /etc/cups/printers.conf
and /etc/cups/ppd/*, but write the respective commands in a script
(usually a sequence of lpadmin commands) and run the script on the
various machines. In this way, any error messages will be displayed
on the respective machines (e.g., if a PPD file is not available
on a machine or if a backend is not available or not ready to use).
Furthermore with such a script you have something like a log-file
of the settings, enabling you to restore the settings by running
the script at any time.

All you need (regardless of the CUPS version) is the PPD files
plus such a script.

You may start with the current PPDs in /etc/cups/ppd/*.ppd
and the device URIs which are shown by "lpstat -v"
to make such a script.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner