[cups.general] getting cups-pdf to work

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Sep 28 08:42:31 PDT 2011

Hello,

On Sep 28 08:05 Jonathan wrote (excerpt):
> ... create a cups-pdf printer for my network
> ... Running on opensuse 11.2 with the tumbleweed repository
> ... I get no output files.
> ... I have been trying to print from Windows 7.
> ... The virtual printer seems to be accepting the job,
> but then it seems to go nowhere.
> error_log
> D ... "DEVICE_URI=file:///dev/null"

With a device URI which points to /dev/null the data
goes nowhere, see "The Backends" in
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

Regarding cups-pdf see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_to_PDF

For a cups-pdf print queue the device URI must be
of the form "cups-pdf:/".

Regarding printing from Windows see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_from_Windows_to_Linux

Kind Regards