500kb Files Take Forever to Print

William Bechtold wmb1204 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 06:47:08 PDT 2012

Hi, I'm running a home network with a mix of Windows, Linux, Unix, and Mac machines through a switch to a Laserjet 2420DN with 64MB of internal RAM. The system in general works quite well; I can print from laptops and desktops, and if it's just one or two pages, things go quickly and well. And installation has been easy on all sorts of distributions.

The problem is that when I try to print a file of, say, 500 KB or so, it takes 20-30 minutes to print, especially web pages with graphics. This holds true for all the machines. Yet if I print from a Windows machine with a USB connected Laserjet 1320, it prints immediately with virtually no delay. My primary machine is a 2GHz dual core with 2 GB of ram, and as I mentioned above, the printer has 64MB of RAM installed, so there's plenty of memory all around. Is there something that I can do to speed up this process? Have I not set a flag or buffer size correctly?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...~(8^})=....