Printing problems in an HP plotter (lack of memory issue)

Eduardo F. Coria eduardo.coria at thehumanjourney.net
Tue Apr 10 07:21:15 PDT 2012

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I installed cups in a print server (Ubuntu 12.04), the server works fine with desktop printers but I'm having problems specifically with a plotter: HP DesignJet 500 "C7769B".
> > It seems that the plotter gets lack of memory when printing, because only prints the initial part of the test page.
> > I tried some different configurations that I found googling but the result was the same. In order to stop wasting paper and ink, would someone please recommend me a solution.
> >

> > Thanks!
> >
> > Eduardo
> Hello Eduardo,
>
> please explain a little bit more ...
> which driver do you use?
> which connection to the plotter do you use?
> do you have a memory extensions inside of the printer?
>
> you could also try the basic driver "HP DesignJet 750c pcl, 1.0"
>
> this driver should print quick in a CAD quality.
>
> regards
> Franz

Hello Franz,

Im using the "recommended" driver: HP DesignJet 500 Foomatic/cdnj500
The plotter it's connected to the print server via USB.
There's a Accessory Card HP-GL/2 which according to http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpp03343
gives 16 MB of additional memory.
I'll try later the driver you suggested to me.

Thanks,

Eduardo