Landscape printing using CUPS 1.42 on Brother 6050 is blank

Tim Underwood timu at hightouchinc.com
Tue Apr 10 13:01:38 PDT 2012

> Trying to test a variety of printers, and I've run across an issue with the Brother HL6050DN printer.
>
> When I print a test document using the following command:
>
> lpr -P <queue> -o media=Letter -o landscape -o cpi=17 -o lpi=8 -# 1 <textfile>
>
> The printer only prints blank pages (portrait prints fine).  If I select Legal papersize, the printer correctly indicates it needs legal (no tray for legal), and putting legal paper in the manual tray feeds the paper - but again, nothing prints for landscape.
>
> Interestingly - it feeds the correct number of pages for whatever the textfile is, but landscape always prints a blank page for each page.
>
> Ideas?

More testing - I'm beginning to wonder if there is an issue with the filters.  When I created the queue, I used a basic lpadmin command:

lpadmin -p test -E -v socket://1.1.1.1 -P someppd.ppd

What is interesting is that looking into the /etc/cups/printers.conf file for this printer (after modifying the printers.conf to point to a file, instead of the printer), it has only 3 filters specified:

<Printer test>
Info test
MakeModel Brother HL-6050D/DN BR-Script3
DeviceURI file://tmp/x.out
State Idle
StateTime 1332947444
Type 8433748
Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
Filter application/vnd.cups-command 0 commandtops
Filter application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 -
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>

There is no text filter.  One would presume it would be called automatically.  Yet when I use the above entry and see the output in /tmp/x.out, it is just the raw text of the file, not postscript.  I can manually call /usr/lib/cups/filter/texttops (I'm on RHE 6) and run it with my text file, and I get the expected postscript output.

Also - what I notice when looking at HP printers (which DO work correctly), they have the following filters:

Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
Filter application/vnd.cups-postscript 100 foomatic-rip
Filter application/vnd.cups-pdf 0 foomatic-rip

So, I'm assuming that something within the PPD file informs the system which Filter(s) should be used - but I'm not seeing it.  Also - when I change the DeviceURI of one of the HP printers to output to a file - I get the expected Postscript.

So - it appears that the Brother PPD (or whatever) is not telling cups to use texttops for text files.

How can I correct this?